About the 2014 Annual Educational Congress
The Federation of Chiropractic Licensing Boards hosted its 88th Annual Educational Congress April 30-May 4 in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. The conference focused on changing trends in regulation. Approximately 140 attendees from North America, Australia, and New Zealand represented chiropractic licensing boards, testing, associations, and chiropractic colleges.
On Thursday, the educational portion of the conference opened with the 24th Annual Joseph Janse Lecture delivered by Dr. Daniel Saint-Germain of Quebec. Dr. Saint-Germain spoke about the responsibilities of leadership and setting the right course for the future.
Friday’s portion of the conference was hosted by the National Board of Chiropractic Examiners and included a keynote address by Dr. Anthony Lisi, Chiropractic Program Director for the Veteran’s Health Administration.
Other educational sessions at the conference included:
• Varied approaches to common regulatory problems
• Eliminating pre-admission requirements from regulatory law
• The board’s role in social media
• Using model language to update laws
• Chiropractic education around the world
• NBCE examination services
Dr. Louis Sportelli delivered Saturday’s summary presentation about the importance of taking action and providing clarity to licensees.
Elections – FCLB Board of Directors
• District I Director: Dr. Carol Winkler (ND)
• District I Alternate Director: Dr. James Buchanan (WY)
• District II Director: Dr. William Rademacher (IL)
• District II Alternate Director: Dr. Corey Rodnick (MI)
• District IV Director: Dr. Gary Counselman (KS)
• District IV Alternate Director: Dr. Annette Zaro (NV)
The FCLB Board of Directors named District V Director Dr. Michael Coon (SC) to serve as Board Chair.
Also continuing on the board are President, Dr. LeRoy Otto (MN); Vice President, Dr Farrel Grossman (SC); Treasurer, Dr. Maggie Colucci (NV); Immediate Past President, Dr. Lawrence O’Connor (NJ); District III Director, Dr. Kirk Shilts (MA); and Administrative Fellow Director, Dr. Larry Spicer (MN).
Awards and Recognition
Dr. Otto presented awards to the following individuals and organizations:
• Pillars of Chiropractic recognizing dedication to public protection: Dr. Donn Fahrendorf (SD) and Dr. Cynthia Tays (TX)
• Retiring Staff: Ms. Donna (Liewer) Cohen, Executive Director
• Retiring Board Members: Dr. Donn Fahrendorf (SD) and Dr. Gary Pennebaker (MN)
• 2014 Dr. Wayne Wolfson Scholarship Award: Mr. Anthony Umina (Life University) and Ms. Samantha Walton (Sherman College of Chiropractic)
• 2014 Donna Liewer-Cohen Regulatory Scholarship: Ms. Deborah Richarson-Peter (VI)
• 2014 Dr. Earl L. Wiley Outstanding Board Award: Pennsylvania State Board of Chiropractic
• 2014 George R. Arvidson Award for Meritorious Service: Dr. Gary Pennebaker (MN)
Next year’s meeting is scheduled for May 6-10, 2015, at the JW Marriott New Orleans.